Wednesday 10 September 2008

Second draft rambling and a Bristol update.



Let's start this beautifully wet and dreary morning with this gorgeous picture of Olaf eating, yeah? Sorry Olaf, i just had to.. This is the guy i stayed with in Bristol, he is nice, funny, german and an excellent animator!

The picture above is the monster on his wall. Yes, the man hs a monster on his wall, and when the drawing is finished the monster will crush a city. I think it's brilliant^^

I am well into my second draft of The Beast From Beyond now, i am of course talking about my book 'Leo's hemmelighet.' The feeling of the book is changing into something a bit darker and more realistic. It's still fantasy, but i want to write it in a way that will make you feel like it could happen to you, and that it's happening anyway, right around the corner and to someone else. I've been more specific when it comes to naming places and describing certain real life things. Like the first chapter in Oslo. It was a bit to 'out there', i am making it more real. Describing places i used to go, places you might find yourself in if you ever go to Oslo.
I was vaguely inspired by Neil Gaimans 'Neverwhere', the book that eventually made me move to London.
I remember sitting on the edge of a fountain reading it,i think it was somewhere in Central London, and the book described the exact place i was sitting, the protagonist was in fact sitting on the edge of the very same fountain as me. That made an impact, and it was enough to make 'Neverwhere' one of my all time favourite books. I want to make the same impact, i want people to go looking for the little shop Angelica works in.
But this is just me daydreaming, for all i know i'll never even get it published. I will though, eventually. The trick is not to give up, ever. I hope..

Kim Harrison is an author i would recommand for everyne who likes the horror/fairytale/humor genre. I read one of her books yesterday, Dead Witch Walking, and she is absolutely brilliant. It's unputdownable to the last page.

My current mission is finding someone who's willing to host me in London this upcoming weekend, if i can't do that won't get to meet Terry Pratchett. And that would be a shame, it really would.

My next mission after that, is to snoop around inside the publishing industry down here, to see if i have what it takes to become a translator. I hope i won't need to go back to college, i don't like college, it hurts my creativity and leisure time.

Dog needs walking, girl needs showering, stair needs a sweep, desperately. I shall return, hopefully.

1 comment:

Imma said...

Neverwhere<33333
da burde jeg kanskje lese Leogreia, da. Ogsåogså kan jeg lage link til deg på meine kleine blogg? ^_^